Follow @YourBroTheNerd

Thursday, February 6, 2014

There Is One Thing I Hate About Android

   As much as I love Android, and all things Google-related in general, there is actually one thing that I hate. And for the life of me, I'm nut sure why it has never really changed.

   To begin with, I use Google Calendar for everything. And, I mean everything - keeping track of due dates for bills, appointments, meetings, special events. You name it - it's on my calendar. In fact, I don't use to-do list apps because my calendar is my to-do list.

   When I look at my calendar, I like to be able to see what's coming up at a glance, in Month View. Whenever I'm on my Chromebook or my Nexus 7 tablet, I check my calendar in month view especially if someone tells me of an upcoming event, meeting, etc. I need to be able to quickly glance to see what's coming up. As I mentioned, I keep track of bills with it as well - those that have been paid and those that are pending.

   So, what is it that I hate? Simply put, this -


   This, for those of you who may not know, is the stock Google Calendar on an Android mobile phone (in my case, my Moto X), in Month View. This, in my opinion, is completely useless. Granted, you change views to Week, Day, or Agenda and see the actual words that all the colorful dashes and dots represent. But that begs the question - what's the point of Month View if you can't read anything?

   What escapes me is the fact that the stock Google Calendar doesn't display this way on a tablet. On my Nexus 7, it's perfect. What also baffles me is that, with all the updates and changes Google has made, this has remained the same.

   I like simple. I like not having to install an app to accomplish something that a preexisting app should already accomplish. I love and use many Google services - they all integrate so well together and I have access from anywhere to things I may need. Unfortunately in this case, I've had to install and use a different calendar on my Android phones. A couple years ago, I searched for one that could provide the Month View I like, found  Business Calendar, and have used it since. 

   At first I tried to convince myself that maybe it simply wasn't possible to include words in Month View on a mobile phone calendar, perhaps due to screen space. But once I found alternatives, I quickly learned that wasn't the case at all.

   Maybe I'm being too picky. Maybe this really isn't very important (obviously not to Google). But I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who's found this to be horrible. I would love to stick to as much all-stock Android as possible. Sadly, I hate the stock calendar app.

   Do you have a favorite calendar app? Please feel free to share in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I had used Acalendar before (it's still in my list of apps), but not sure why I stopped using it??? I'll have to revisit it!

      Delete
  2. One calendar I've been using lately is SolCalendar. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daum.android.solcalendar&hl=en
    And another I've discovered is 12Hours.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tajchert.hours&hl=en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! SolCalendar looks a little "cartoony", but I'll give it a test drive. Not so sure 12Hours is even a calendar - can't see how that one could fit my needs.
      Thanks again for the share!

      Delete